Saturday, October 24, 2009
Fort Gaines, Dauphin Island, Alabama 1898.
Fort Gaines, on Dauphin Island, Alabama was still in use by the United States Government, in 1898. The Fort was modified, due to fear's, of a Spanish attack, with three 6-inch disappearing guns and three rapid fire 3-inch gun's. The gun's are long gone, but two of the building's used as Officer's Quarter's, during the war, are still standing outside the present Fort Gaines Historic Site and one is still in use.